Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Book Review- Picture Book

"The Biggest Halo," by Antonio Jocson and J.E. Christian. Illustrated by Robert Enright. One of the Muddy Tom's Wacky Adventures which is about a boy who gets himself into trouble. This time Tom and his dog Max have a weird Halloween adventure. The book starts out with Tom getting his Halloween costume with Max in tow. Then his mom tells him she has to go inside a store. However, no dog's are allowed in so she tells Tom to stay outside with Max. She makes sure she tells Tom he's not to talk to any strangers. Tom does not heed this sage advice and gets in a cool car driven by a pumpkin head man. True to Muddy Tom's Wacky Adventures Tom has a wacky adventure. In this case it's a bold step for a writer to write about an adventure which involves a child getting in car with a stranger. Our society frowns on any fun or exciting escapades which involves a child getting in a car with an unknown person. So while I think it's great these two authors wrote such a wacky book, I'm not big on Tom having any sort of interesting adventure during or after he gets in a car with a stranger. I should point out I really liked the pictures. They alone make the book. I should add, I read the book to my nephew to hear what he thought about it. He liked the book. I asked him if the book made getting in a car with a stranger more attractive. He said no, saying he knew it was dangerous. Besides, he never would get in a car with a pumpkin head driver. It would be too scary.