Friday, October 23, 2009

Movie Review

Movie title: Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein. This is an old movie. My two nephews (9 and 11) thought it was funny. But I told them about 1940's slapstick movies before they watched it. They know it's NOT okay to slap anyone as a joke. If you are strict, which is okay, or have a child who might start doing this type of behavior if they see it, skip this movie. In a parenting article I wrote I write about the issue of slapstick in movies which I will post before Christmas.

What the movie is about: Two friends have jobs as railroad baggage claim clerks. While working one night they get a shipment of two coffins. One Dracula. The other, Frankenstein's monster. But surprise, surprise the two aren't really dead. One of the men has a girlfriend who is cahoots with Dracula. She and Dracula plan to put her boyfriend's simple brain into Frankenstein's monster. This sets the stage for going to a remote island where the operation is planned to take place. Lots of laughs. I always root for the bungling but lovable character Lou Costello plays. And I love the predictable happy endings. If you let your child watch this movie with you I think they will find the beginning funny when Costello has a difficult time with the luggage. Note: This movie does have monsters. And young children might not get the jokes. For kids ages ten and up. For adults there are some funny quips.