Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Book Review- little kids book

"Jingle Bells, Homework Smells" by Diane de Groat. I just had to read this book once I saw the title. I have nephews who DO judge a book by its cover and by the name. So I was somewhat disappointed the book didn't live up to its name. I kept looking for homework that smells as I read the book. The book is about a critter, Gilbert, who forgets to do his homework over the weekend. Instead of doing his homework he decorates cookies, watches TV, plays, etc. By the way his homework assignment is: Make a character from a book they've read. I thought maybe Gilbert would be creative and make a cookie for his homework assignment and that way his homework would smell. But it doesn't happen. The book is still cute, but having dealt with kids I know if I read this book to them they would ask, "Why does the title have Homework Smells when his homework never smells?" Even the half of happy face sticker Gilbert does get for somewhat doing his homework in the end doesn't say they are the smelly kind.