Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Doggy Tip- Dog Days of Summer

Do not take your dog on hikes on hot summer days in the middle of the day, especially old dogs and dogs with long coats. I had a Veterinarian tell me that every summer he sees dogs come in for heat stroke. Their owners take their dogs up hills, on trails with no shade, when it's over ninety degrees out. This is usually mid day when it's hottest out. Would you like to walk in a fur coat in the blazing heat? If you hike with your dog make sure you have water for him. Look for a collapsible dog bowl at your local pet store. Seriously folks take what I wrote today to heart. My little niece in July told me her friend's parents took their two dogs out for a hike in hot weather during the day. Both got heat stroke. One died, the other survived. Don't let this happen to your dog!